Former pro scout Tom Marino isn't as enamored with physical make up and athletic ability of an…
Raiders cut Hartwell, sign punter
"I wasn't here, but I guess in 2001 he did something like that," Raiders head coach Lane Kiffin said. "This is not as serious as that was."
With Sebastian Janikowski also ruled out for Friday night's game in Tennessee, Oakland will be facing the Titans without both of their kickers.
Hartwell signed with the Raiders in the offseason and had hoped to work his way into the linebacking rotation. But with no hope of unseating Kirk Morrison as the starting middle linebacker, the veteran Hartwell was deemed expendable.
Pakulak has been trying to get a job in the NFL since 2003 when he was signed by the Seattle Seahawks as an undrafted free agent. He was cut by the ‘Hawks and has since joined five other teams, including a brief stint with the Raiders in 2006 -- he never played but was allocated by Oakland to the Amsterdam Admirals of NFL Europe.
Meanwhile, the team is trying to get a clearer understanding of what is going on with cornerback DeAngelo Hall's right hand. Hall said he suffered the injury some time before the Raiders' preseason-opener against the 49ers and underwent an MRI test and X-ray test which proved inconclusive.
Now they're seeking a third opinion on the situation.
Hall told reporters that he had a broken hand in his right hand but Kiffin wasn't so sure when he spoke to the media after the team's morning practice Wednesday.
"The only thing we know for sure is that it is a bruise. It's a bruise with a possible sprain," Kiffin said. "There has been nothing so far that has said that it's broken, none of the readings. But we want to make sure of this."
Hall didn't seem too concerned about playing with the injury but said he wants to find out exactly7 what's going on.
"I still can't touch anything. I can't put my hand down," Hall said. "My main thing is even if it's broken, it doesn't mean anything. If I can go out there and play then I can go out there and play. If something hurts something hurts. I gotta try to get to the bottom of it. I didn't sign a one-year deal. I'm looking more for the long term rather than a quick fix."
Hall is expected to play against the Titans, as is Nnamdi Asomugha who had X-rays taken on his right foot late Tuesday. The tests came back negative and Asomugha returned to practice.
While the ideal situation for both Hall and Asomugha would be rest, the truth is Oakland doesn't have that luxury.
"We don't have much depth. It's very evident, you can see that so it's definitely something that we've got to push through right now," Asomugha said. "If we had more depth we'd be able to take a little more time off and let stuff heal but it's training camp. We don't have many other bodies so we've kind of got to play through everything right now."
In other camp news:
• Kiffin said he anticipates quarterback JaMarcus Russell to play the entire first half against Tennessee.
Russell rebounded from a rough practice on Tuesday and showed some nice touch on a few deep throws. In the morning he hit tight end Mark Madsen with a strong throw down the middle during team drills, then came back in the night practice to connect with Drew Carter on back-to-back touchdown passes.
• John Wade will start at center with the first team offense while Jake Grove, who started against San Francisco, will take reps with the backups. Kiffin said the team wanted each player to get a chance playing with the first unit in a game before deciding who will start in the regular season.
• Left tackle Kwame Harris had a shoulder X-ray which proved negative, good news for the Raiders who don't have much line depth. Oakland believes Harris will start but will turn to second-year player Mario Henderson if he can't.
"If he doesn't play, Super Mario would start for us on JaMarcus' backside," Kiffin said. "That'll be interesting … versus (Kyle) Vanden Bosch."
• Harris, left guard Robert Gallery and running back Darren McFadden all false started on the same play during the evening workout -- likely a result of a cadence issue at quarterback -- but only the rookie had to run a penalty lap.
• Nick Sanchez, who was signed on Tuesday, made his second interception in as many days with his new team. This time Sanchez picked off a pass from Russell after it deflected off Drew Carter's hands.
That was one of the few mistakes Carter has made in camp. Earlier in the day he put a double move on Asomugha to get into the open and catch a pass in 1-on-1 drills. He also caught a deep throw from Marques Tuiasosopo in 7-on-7 drills then made a leaping catch on another pass from Tuiasosopo.
• Tight end Tony Stewart wore a protective boot on his left foot. Stewart has been unable to practice lately due to an unknown toe injury.
• In a passing drill pitting linebackers against running backs, Ricky Brown was very impressive while staying stride-for-stride with Michael Bush then tipping the ball away to break up the play.
• Linebacker Thomas Howard intercepted a pass from Russell on a pass that wasn't even halfway to its intended target.
SBReport.net Recommended Stories
Odell Beckham makes catch of the year
Former LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham made what has to be the most incredible catch of the NFL season. Check out the highlight reel grab!Read More
College Week 13: 10 Saturday Takeaways
Breaking down all the battles that mattered this weekend.Read More
Week 13: Waiver Wire Pickups
Every week, Fantasy Football Expert Stephen Englert recommends some under the radar types that you should consider adding to your roster. Tennessee Titans QB Zach Mettenberger (pictured above) is…Read More
Scout's ACC All-Century Team
There have been so many great basketball players in the Atlantic Coast Conference since 2000, but which have been the very best? We break down the Player of the Century, Best Coach, Best Freshman, and…Read More
Apache Administers Death to Taliban (VIDEO)
The Apache helicopter is one of the most famed and efficient killing machines in the U.S Army. Get the skinny on this 'steel dragon' and watch what one does to a platoon of Taliban fighters in…Read More
- Official Gameday Thread, Scalp the Chiefs!
- We won a game...does this screw our chances for the #1 overall?
- F*ck yeah, Raiders finally break the streak!
- Is there a scenario in which Sporano stays HC?
- I think I jumped the gun on DJ Hayden