The Raiders were in pads once again but were benefitting from another cool day under the clouds in Napa, Calif. With that said, here are some quick observations from today's practice:
- Second-year tight end Mychal Rivera started practice out with a bang by beating veteran safety Tyvon Branch with a nice move to get open. Rivera had a rougher time during the team drill in the red zone later. On a throw into the end zone, Rivera didn't turn around in time for the ball and then had a ball from Derek Carr go through his hands on a short route. Rivera has had a solid camp receiving the ball so the struggles in the team drill came as a bit of a surprise.
- Fullback Marcel Reece used a nice move of his own to beat linebacker Justin Cole, capitalized by Carr dropping in a nice touch pass to him on the sideline. We all know how strong of an arm Carr has, but it is nice to see Carr drop in a ball with some touch on the sideline.
- Wide receiver Greg Little had another nice catch as he found the soft spot in the zone as quarterback Matt Schaub found him. Little continues to show flashes of being a solid piece of the Raiders offense when he's on the field. He also had a beautiful over-the-shoulder catch after getting pass Tarell Brown.
- Second-year running back Latavius Murray has continued to have a nice camp and broke off another nice run during team drills. Right guard Austin Howard did a good job sealing a rushing lane on the inside to break Murray free.
- Rookie guard Gabe Jackson had another nice block of his own as he sealed defensive tackle Stacy McGee to open up a running land for Jeremy Stewart. Jackson has looked very powerful when it comes to blocking against the run. Jackson certainly has the potential to develop into a key piece of the Raiders offensive line for years to come.
- Wide receiver Denarius Moore had a beautiful catch in the end zone during the red zone session. Cornerback Chance Casey had pretty good coverage but Schaub placed the ball perfectly on Moore's fingertips to make the touchdown catch. Moore continues to show flashes of brilliance but needs to remain more consistent.
- Center Stefen Wisniewski and Schaub had a little bit of difficulty on a couple of snaps. Schaub fumbled one snap under center and then Wiz snapped a couple of shotgun snaps low.
- Veteran defensive end Justin Tuck got into the backfield quickly during the red zone drill to get a simulated sack on Schaub. Tuck and Woodley have proven to be key pieces of the Raiders defense and have gotten to the quarterback.
The Raiders return to the practice field Wednesday for their last practice before their first preseason game on Friday against the Minnesota Vikings.